Skip to main content

Supercharge your Fertilizer Records

Having good fertilizer records is important because it's important to know what you have done so that you can plan for the future. I've seen so many instances of fertilizer records that are descriptions of what you have done, but are formatted in a way that provides little information that is easily digested or that can be used to guide future decisions.

At the most basic level a fertilizer application record should contain the date, area applied, type of product, amount of product and your spreader setting and looks like this:

One of my first digital fertilizer records from 2008

While this is a good record of what you did at the most basic level, it is almost next to useless to actually help you understand how much of each nutrient was applied. Are you applying fertilizer for the name on the bag or are you applying fertilizer to alter the nutrient content of your soils?

Making these calculations easier was one of the main reasons I initially switched from paper records to a spreadsheet. Spreadsheets make doing multiple similar calculations extremely easy and automatic. The example below from my 2008 fertilizer records show this calculation done.


Wow, there is a lot to digest here and looking back I am surprised at how bad my fertilizer practices once were. I was applying massive quantities of nutrients that the plant couldn't even use. In 2008 I was spending 3x as much on fertilizer for 9 holes that I know spend on 18 holes!

Once you have your records organized in a similar fashion to the one shown above, you can summarize the data to compare year to year and month to month.


As I often apply fertilizer to more than one area at a time we can also reflect that with some advanced spreadsheet skills which I won't describe here but might do some other time.


Collars generally require more nitrogen than the other areas in order to tolerate the elevated traffic levels found on this part of the golf course. The table above shows how the nitrogen rates on collars are elevated even though I only specifically apply fertilizer to collars in rare occasions. The records pull data from greens apps where I also spray the collars and also data from fairway applications where I do a lap around my greens to supplement the fertilizer rates on my collars. A robust fertilizer record makes it easy to calculate the rates where you apply fertilizer to more than one specific area of the golf course in a single application.

You can also summarize costs if you include that data in your records.


So far I showed a few ways that you can improve your fertilizer records to help you better understand what you have done so far. What can we get from these records that will simplify future applications?

I like to show the most recent fertilizer application on my Maintenance HUD. I break these recent applications down even further to show the most recent application per macronutrient. The table below shows that area, macronutrient, rate and how many days ago the application was made. I don't have to go into my records to manually sift through the data to figure this information out. It's all automatic.


This sort of information is especially helpful when you shift your fertilizer application schedule away from a calendar or "program" based approach to a reactive approach which adapts to the actual conditions of the day.

I further add the estimated amount of nutrient used since the last application to this information display. This uses the daily growth potential figure multiplied by the maximum daily nitrogen use of 0.07g/m^2 which is derived from a maximum monthly nitrogen rate of 2g/m^2. The P and K are 0.13 and 0.5 of the n rate respectively.

We can compare the GP nutrient use since the last application to the application rate to see if we are over applying or underapplying fertilizer based on this model.

For our greens where we measure clipping removal, we can even calculate the estimated amount of nutrient removed through the clippings! To do this take the #clipvol in ml/m^2 and multiply it by 0.00252 to get the nitrogen removal rate. Again, the P and K are 0.13 and 0.5 of the n rate respectively.

On the table above, you can see that the estimated nutrient removal is exactly the same as the estimated nutrient use from the GP formula. We are comparing guesses to guesses here but it can be a tool to get a better understanding of you fertilizer practices. The most recent fertilizer application applied more than 3x of the total nitrogen use over that time period so far but almost 100% of the expected K use. Maybe I should include some K in the next fertilizer application.

Chris Tritabaugh described how he does something similar in a recent blog post of his.

With good fertilizer records we can do these comparisons for any time period, not just since the most recent fertilizer application.

With a supercharged fertilizer record sheet you can combine it with a tool such as my Growth Ratio to get even more control and understanding of how we are growing our grass.

It might seem complicated at first but it really isn't.

We have our most recent nutrient rates, the amount of expected nutrient use, the estimated nutrient removal and when combined with the growth ratio, an idea of how fast we are growing the grass relative to the current weather conditions.


Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All