Skip to main content

MLSN made easy

I am totally guilty of making the MLSN more complicated than it needs to be. When the MLSN was first developed, it showed me a whole new world in the ways that I could fertilize grass. Naturally, I wanted to test the limits and see what else I could learn. In the process I did some complicated math, calculations and measurements to have fun with this new found knowledge.

The MLSN are not targets, they are soil levels you should not go below and do not include nitrogen recommendations.

Not everyone needs or should do that, however. The MLSN guidelines are actually extremely easy to use and you don't have to do much math if any to get the full benefit of the guidelines. You can make it as easy or difficult as you want.

Micah Woods has talked about it before on his blog but I will share it again with my own take.

If you want to make turfgrass fertilizing as simple as possible. Don't test your soils and simply just apply fertilizer in the ratio that the nutrients are found in the plant. The table below shows this ratio but I can simplify it further.

 N:P:K of 8:1:4


I see lots of granular fertilizer blends with a ratio similar to 30:3:15. That's good and will do you for the macronutrients on your turfgrass. Throw some Dolopril every once in a while for Mg and Ca. You'll need about 5% as much Mg as you apply N and 8% as much Ca. If you Ca is high but you still need Mg, use epsom salts. Apply a micro nutrient containing fertilizer every once in a while but don't make it a big part of your program. Don't worry about it. This method described above is the STERF Precision Fertilisation method. That link is to their updated guide for fertilisation and I highly recommend it.

The nutrient ratio found in this fertilizer is no coincidence

The MLSN allows you to utilize nutrients stored in your soils. If you have excess nutrients, you won't need to apply those nutrients for a few years until they run out. In some cases they might never run out. Either way, you need to test your soils to use the MLSN guidelines because they use the nutrients stored in the soil to make fertilizer recommendations.

There is a ton of complicated math to figure out how to determine how much nutrients you need to have so that you can apply nothing.....or you can just do this.

Test your soils in the same way every year and compare the results for each nutrient. If you do your soil tests with Micah Woods at the Asian Turfgrass Center, he does this for you.


www.asianturfgrass.com

For the macronutrients you can see that there has been virtually no change in phosphorus Over the years. The green line is the average amount in all his samples and the red line is the MLSN. I am above the MLSN guidelines so I should not have any problems with phosphorus deficiencies in my greens. I can keep doing what I am doing for phosphorus applications or slightly reduce them in relation to my nitrogen applications. I have been applying phosphorus in a ratio of 0.12 to nitrogen which is almost exactly the ratio it is found in the plant and you can see that this has no impact on the soil P levels because the plant uses everything I apply as fertilizer.

Potassium saw a big drop in 2022. This was intentional. I was well above the average potassium levels and much higher than the MLSN. In previous years I was applying potassium (K) at a 0.5 ratio to nitrogen and the soil levels were rather stable. In 2022 I applied K at a ratio of 0.16 to nitrogen which is much lower than the levels found in the plant. This resulted in the plants using some of the K in the soil and this caused the soil levels to drop. Our greens are now below average but above the MLSN. We can now resume applying K at a ratio of 0.5 to nitrogen to ensure we do not go below the MLSN guideline. 

The nutrient ratio for macronutrients on my greens next year will be 8:1:4 or the ratio found in the plant. I might only apply P in the summer when growth rates are the highest to keep my shallow rooted poa happy but otherwise it will be pretty simple.

I will take the exact same approach with the other nutrients which is outlined below. I know how much of each nutrient I applied in previous years, and I can adjust them to either drop their soil levels further, or keep them constant.

If you soil test results are trending upward, apply less of that nutrient next year until the soil test levels stabilize or drop to where you are comfortable with them being.


www.asianturfgrass.com

I have only seen soil test results compared like this for the past 3 years and I can now say that this makes fertilizer decisions very easy. No difficult math and no complications. Even if the MLSN is wrong I know that I have good turfgrass today and can keep my nutrients constant in the soil to ensure that I have good turfgrass tomorrow. This can only be done by comparing your results year after year.

If you have been doing soil tests consistently for the past few years, compile them together with yearly averages and see what the trend line looks like. Are your nutrient levels going up, staying the same or going down?




Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All