Skip to main content

Out of Control Growth



It's totally true. This year I had big plans to control growth on my greens and boy did I fail. Despite having an intimate understanding of how fast each and every one of my greens was growing as well as how much fertilizer I had applied and how much growth I could expect from those applications, the growth rate this past May and August went completely off the rails. You'll also notice that the previous two years I was able to achieve relatively consistent growth, then it all fell apart. WTF!



As you can see, the growth this past May and August was significantly higher than in previous years.


This despite never applying less fertilizer to the greens. The total cost this year for those that are wondering came out to $275 for 1 acre of greens or about $0.07 per square meter.

Dude!

Like Sean says, "we don't have as much control as we think we do."  Although growth this summer got away from me I have some suspicions why it might have been this way despite reintroducing growth regulators in July. The growth rates were so high that we struggled to cut enough grass each day and we were stuck with puffy conditions prone to scalping! Green speed was a challenge to maintain and we were forced to mow more than we would normally like.

Even with the elevated growth dollar spot was still a concern on a few greens. I think this is most likely due to the older bentgrass cultivars that remain on our greens. For the most part, dollar spot on the course was managed very successfully without pesticide interventions. Fairways and tees were in excellent shape all summer and didn't seem to experience the same growth explosion that the greens did.

We still have elevated organic matter from the winterkill episode of 2016. During the crazy heat we experienced this summer I bet the excess organic matter was mineralized and this led to extreme growth rates.

We started using Civitas again. Some of the product claims suggest reduced fertilizer requirements and increased growth. The first application was on the 16th of August, well into the big growth surge we were experiencing.


We started using primo again this year on July 9th and followed a strict 200 growing degree day reapplication interval helped out by my weather modeller.


As you can see, we had higher GDD this year than last so that certainly played a roll.


What else could it be?

The only other thing I can think of is grass type.

Last spring we were able to significantly increase the amount of bentgrass on our greens due to losing half of our poa thanks to winterkill.

The first green here is still mostly poa and you can see that despite it receiving higher amounts of fertilizer, it struggled to grow compared to our other bentgrass dominated greens.


It was very apparent to me this year that bentgrass grows much more with less fertilizer. Of course it could be less fertilizer or maybe the deeper rooted plant simply has access to more nutrients? There hasn't been roots deeper than 10cm for the past 20 years here so there is likely a treasure trove of nutrients in the depths below. Most plugs I sample have roots well below 20cm these days which essentially doubles the amount of nutrients available to the plant assuming it works that way.


Either way, I think the increase in clipping yield this year is partly due to having more bentgrass on the course and will allow me to potentially go even lower with fertilizer next season. Of course I will continue to monitor the growth rates and will adjust where possible despite having less control that I would like. I now also know what too much growth looks like and can really back off as we approach growth rates that can cause concern.

For more about these bitching graphs check out this post https://www.turfhacker.com/2018/03/turfgrass-maintenance-hud.html


Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All