Skip to main content

Stimp vs Yield


I never thought having dead greens could be so interesting. Extreme circumstances like having to grow in new greens has given me completely different growth rates across my greens. Obviously this isn't great for consistency but it is great for learning stuff and maybe improving for the future. Right now I have highly variable growth rates on my various greens and this can be used to my advantage to see how this different growth rate impacts playability.

This week I decided to compare clipping yield to green speed. It's a limited data set and I will continue to collect it into the future to get better data but the first set of results is pretty interesting but not entirely surprising. Please remember that there are a million variables involved here. Grass type, cultural practices, height of cut, roll or no roll all can impact the ball roll. I think this will have to be measured on each course and for each cultural practice to figure out what is best for your course. Also note that this is preliminary data and could obviously be more thorough but I'm only one guy who has a course to run, this isn't a research farm!

So from this data you might say that the higher the yield, the slower the greens.

But what if you double cut?



Yield goes up, speed goes up or stays the same. hmm.

Maybe we need to look at it slightly differently. What if instead of total yield on a green, we look at it as yield per cut?

So I decided to test this on my greens with a higher yield. I double cut holes 2, 3, and 5 as they had the highest yield today.



1st cut
HoleYieldStimp
25.777.6
36.197.7
54.147.9
2nd cut
21.928.4
32.578.1
52.078.4
Percent Change
2-66.72%10.53%
3-58.45%5.19%
5-50.03%6.33%
Average Change-58.40%7.35%

As you can see, on the second cut the yield-per-cut went down by almost 60% but the green speed when up by 7.35%

Nothing new here really, except now that I am monitoring yield on each individual green, I can optimize green speeds based off this data. Lets look at today's data and see how it statistically changes our conditions.


Hole1st cut yield1st cut stimp2nd cut yieldtotal 2nd cut yield2nd cut stimp
12.147.92.147.9
25.777.61.927.698.4
36.197.72.578.768.1
43.688.13.688.1
54.147.92.076.218.4
62.578.62.578.6
73.8783.878
82.407.92.407.9
92.027.72.027.7
UP1.5091.509
LP3.087.83.087.8
Cv44.78%5.26%61.53%4.77%

After mowing the high yield greens a second time the coefficient of variation (Cv) of the yield went up overall, but it went down for stimp just as we would expect.

So how can we optimize green speed based off of clipping yield data?

Well, if we can get a low clipping yield Cv we can probably get a low stimp Cv.
By varying fertilizer rates on greens the yield Cv (single cut) is going in the right direction.
Still, nothing really that new here. It's just common sense.

What I do think is new is how we can use this data in the real world to ensure that we are producing the most consistent playing conditions from green to green, especially during times when growth rates are wildly variable like they are for me as we recover from winter damage.

I'm not hosting the US Open or any pro tourney for that matter so I don't have a dedicated crew to ensure that the greens are consistent every day. What I do have is one person who mows the greens and collects the clipping in the basket. It is almost no work to dump these clippings into a measuring pail and to write how much you got down. With this clipping yield I can have my staff automatically determine if a double cut is needed or not. Of course, as you can see from the data above, my green speeds with a single cut only aren't that variable for a public course. Most golfers here simply couldn't tell the difference. But for those special tournaments it could help us optimize our green speeds. I'm not the only one already doing this.

I can determine the optimal yield-per-cut and have my mower operators double cut a green if they get more than that yield. Ideally we would want all our greens to grow consistently but in the real world they might not 100% of the time. I also have a hunch that as green speeds increase well above our relatively slow speeds this week, the variance will increase with a smaller yield Cv. So yield could be more important the faster your greens get. I'm not 100% about this because my greens aren't fast.

So what is the optimal clipping yield?

I think that is highly variable for each of the variables that you apply to the grass that could impact green speed so each course will be different.

I can take all my yield vs stimp data and sort it by yield and compare green speeds over a certain yield vs green speeds below a certain yield.

If we compare green speeds above and below 4L/100m^2 we get

Optimum Yield4
Stimp
Above OptimumBelow OptimumDifference
7.918.380.46

Change that to 3L


Optimum Yield3
Stimp
Above OptimumBelow OptimumDifference
8.048.460.42

Or 2L

Optimum Yield2
Stimp
Above OptimumBelow OptimumDifference
8.138.970.84

I don't have any data below 1L...so that's as far as I can go...for now. For Paul Robertson at the Victoria Golf Club, they have found their optimum is 0.6L/100m^2.
As you can see, the lower the yield, greater the difference in green speed on my greens. So if I want to get the maximum green speed (and consistency between greens) with my management practices and mowing alone (no rolling but why would you not roll?) I need to get less than 2L of grass per 100m^2. I could also make it easy for them and would give them a yield for each green that would take the area of the green into account.

This leaves me to wonder if it is better to find consistency in green speed with a roller or with a mower? I have seen in pro tournaments that they roll different amounts to get that consistency but I wonder how that impacts consistency over the long term. So many questions and even though they really aren't applicable to real life for most courses (because who NEEDS green speed variation around 2-3") I think that if you know the various impacts of different practices you can optimize your greens with minimal effort. I'm not only concerned with optimal green speeds, I have to balance budget, labor resources, and impacts on disease and the environment but by knowing I can try to achieve this with mowing if necessary, or controlling the growth rates ideally.

I plan on dropping the HOC on greens this week so it will be interesting to see how these relationships change as the HOC drops. 


Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All