Skip to main content

Spot Spraying and Counting Disease.

Spot spraying has been a big part of my IPM program for the last few years. I hypothesized that winter diseases like fusarium on the coast aren't really that bad, we just make them worse by spreading them around. In order to capitalize on this theory I have been spot spraying my greens with traditional fungicides to attempt to limit that spread. During the time that I have been doing this I have never had such success managing my nemesis, fusarium.

On the surface, spot spraying seems like a pretty simple and basic tool. See disease, spray it. The problem is that it takes time and if it doesn't help you stretch the intervals that you need to apply a broadcast fungicide spray, then there is little point in doing it.

Where spot spraying really becomes a powerful tool is when you count and record the number of disease spots that you treat each day you spot spray. Counting and recording this data doesn't take any additional effort unless you find counting difficult. It does require that you are consistent in your data collection on all greens. Only doing one green or two won't give you as good of information as if you do all your greens.


For me, the time commitment is about 1 hour to treat my 0.4ha (1 acre) of greens. In the past month I have spent 4 hours of time spot spraying, $0.25 in fungicide and have required no broadcast fungicides on my greens. I typically spot spray once a week (or the day before mowing) through the winter when fusarium is active. I then record the number of spots in my google form on my phone. My form is simple and very quick to fill out and this makes it easy for me to be consistent in my data collection.
I use a simple google form on my phone which feeds
data to my spreadsheets automatically

Counting disease on my greens gives me a very good idea of how bad the disease is and when combined with data from previous spot sprays, I can roughly determine the disease pressure and how that is changing over time. This gives me an idea of when my fungicides are wearing off and what impacts my maintenance practices might be having. It also lets me determine without emotion, when I should spray.

Emotion is a huge driving force behind determining when to spray especially when you don't have a good quantitative figure on how bad the disease is. It is easy to panic when you see a few spots of active disease here and there but after a count you can see how bad it really is. This simple fact has helped me put off countless fungicide applications for a week or even a month or more! To measure is to know.

In order to prevent double spraying spots it is important to include a pigment in your spray. As the pigment fades and you come out to spray again it is very obvious which spots have been treated already and which ones are fresh. The human eye is a very powerful tool and after a while you will be very good at determining if disease is active or not.

I can look at the data collected and see which greens are the worst. As you can see on the table below, the first 3 greens have the most disease. As you go from one spray date to the next you can also see that the amount of infection sites is getting worse over time. The last broadcast fungicide was applied on September 24.

This kind of information can give you a great idea of which greens have the worst disease and can allow you to focus on why certain greens get more disease than others and possibly make changes to reduce the disease pressure on the trouble greens.

This data alone, however, doesn't give you a good idea of how bad the disease really is and how it is changing over time because it doesn't take the interval between disease counts or the area of each green. The following table shows the number of infection spots per 100m2 per day.


This information gives you a better idea of what the disease pressure is. As you can see the 1st and 3rd greens have about 8 new infection sites per 100m2 per day and that overall the number of infection sites per given area is going up at time goes on. Basically the disease is getting worse.

But why is it getting worse? Is it the weather? Fungicide wearing off? Or is it because of disease spread by mowers? This is important to know because if the majority of disease spread is by mowers, then a simple spot spray should end the disease pressure increase as long as you aren't mowing like crazy. After a period of time following the mode of disease spread the disease pressure should drop. If it doesn't the disease pressure is probably environmental and a broadcast fungicide will be needed.

So you can see that my disease pressure is rising but why? The picture below shows a cluster of disease around an old disease scar. Clearly I didn't spray this spot soon enough and it was spread by our mowers. The time it takes between when the disease is spread to when you can see it varies but seeing this can help you determine how long it really took. In the case below, was taken 7 days after the last mowing.


The pigments allow you to look back after spraying to see patterns in the disease and this also helps you determine just how bad the disease really is. A further out view of the above picture shows that this disease outbreak is isolated and the result of mower spread and not environmental pressure.

Please excuse the holes and fir needles. This was the day after deep tining greens after a heavy wind..
The transition from summer to fall is always a difficult time because the grass needs to be mowed more than one can spot spray. We are also often mowing in the rain but cannot spot spray in the rain as was the case last week and why we saw a spike in disease spread. As the Fall and Winter progress and our mowing frequency decreases we can get more effective spot sprays out before we have to mow and further reduce the chances that the mowers will spread the disease on our greens.

So with observations such as this, I can hold off with a broadcast spray confidently because most of the increased disease pressure is because of our last mow last week. Since that mowing the disease has had a lot of time and ideal conditions to infect the grass and grow to a point where I can see it and spray it. I have done 2 spot sprays since the last mowing and expect to do anywhere from 1-15 spot sprays (depending on growth rate) before our next mow. As time goes on I expect the disease pressure to drop without a broadcast fungicide application because we aren't spreading the disease around.

I think a lot of people who try spot spraying don't do it for long because they aren't getting the full benefit of spraying each individual spot. By counting and visualizing the disease on your greens you can get a better idea of why the disease is so bad and better determine when a costly broadcast fungicide application is needed.





Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All