Skip to main content

Do you even IPM?

Integrated Pest Management (IPM) isn't a new concept. It might actually be one of the oldest ways turf managers have dealt with certain pests, but in recent times we have been able to rely less and less on IPM practices as amazing new pest control products come to market. These new products essentially allow us to do almost anything to our grass regardless of what the pest pressure is.

Integrated pest management (IPM), also known as integrated pest control (IPC) is a broad-based approach that integrates practices for economic control of pests. IPM aims to suppress pest populations below the economic injury level (EIL) Source: Wikipedia

Now even with these highly effective pest control products we still need to use IPM to some extent to help get through periods of extreme disease pressure. Raising the heights of cut, water management, and fertilizer practices can all help when used in conjunction with effective pest control products. There's no product that will allow you to do anything to grass with no consequences but with a broad IPM plan you can possibly get by with cheaper products and products that have a lower environmental impact. With good IPM we can also reduce the need for preventative pesticide applications and can stretch our pesticide application intervals. This is key to be able to see the benefits of IPM on your golf course.

There's no point in IPM unless you can keep the grass healthy and playable
I often share some of the practices that I have found to work for me but get the response that it doesn't give good enough control to keep pests below the EIL. Of course every site is different but I also question the use of IPM practices if they don't make a measurable difference.

For example, I used to drag dew off the greens in the winter to "reduce disease pressure" of fusarium. It turns out that dew (or rain) has very little to do with how bad fusarium is in the winter in my part of the world. I wasn't seeing any impact from this time consuming practice so I dropped it. I made a change and I saved time and money.

Another example was how we used to water greens last each night to reduce the period of leaf wetness in an effort to reduce disease. Again, I saw no real impact on disease so switched to watering greens first thing each night which made it much easier for me to manage poa greens during stressful drought conditions. I made a change and conditions improved.

ISR products like Civitas and phosphite will also leave you disappointed if you use them like traditional pesticides. You will see the maximum benefit of these products if you use them in conjunction with good and broad IPM practices.

So if you employ IPM practices you need to ask yourself a few things. Does it increase the quality of my playing surfaces? Does it reduce the need for corrective or preventative pesticide applications? If it doesn't, the IPM product or practice you are using is probably a waste of time and money.

Rolling and hand watering are very important parts of my IPM plan
It's no secret that I have had a lot of success this winter/spring managing fusarium. I continue to be surprised each and every day at how little disease there is on my putting greens. No matter what the weather throws at us they continue to be disease free for some reason. I was recently asked why we had so little disease this year. Of course, a lot of it is probably luck. For some reason I have been able to make decisions that are correct over and over. This doesn't happen very often especially when dealing with nature!

This day saw temperatures reach 37C! That's hot for our poa but it managed just fine.
The other reason is that every single aspect of my maintenance plan revolves around disease management. From mowing, rolling, fertilizer rates and types, irrigation, plant growth regulators, traditional pesticides and ISR products. As fusarium is our most costly and potentially damaging turf pest we throw everything we have at it to try and lessen its impact on our operation. We don't just employ the odd practice here and there, every single thing is geared towards fusarium reduction while still maintaining quality playing surfaces for golf.

Since changing to this approach we have been able to make huge reductions in costs and environmental impact and huge increases in turfgrass quality. Now that's what I call IPM!

In an upcoming post I will share in detail my approach to managing fusarium patch at my course.





Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All