Skip to main content

"He's starving his greens"

This was a quiet comment I heard at a talk I did recently about my experience with the MLSN. This is something I hear a lot and a source of some confusion that I hope to clear up.
To apply this little fert safely you need to know what and when to apply it. It's all about timing.
A lot of people associate the MLSN with reducing fertilizer. This can be the case with nutrients that are in excess in the soil but my fertilizer reductions haven't been the result of using the MLSN entirely. If you are removing nutrients from the system you will eventually need to add those back in the form of fertilizer.

If you read closely on my blog you will learn that the huge reductions in fertilizer on my course have been the result of using soluble source fertilizers, halving my nitrogen rates all across my course, and simply withholding nutrients on my fairways as a Park Grass Experiment inspired experiment. The lack of fertilizer on my fw has nothing to do with the MLSN.

For the first year or two of using the MLSN I applied very little potassium but quickly had to bring the K back into my fertilizer applications as it is one of the nutrients used the most second only to nitrogen in the plant. It also leaches readily which is a big deal in a wet climate such as the one I'm in on the West Coast of Canada.

Yes the MLSN has helped me reduce or entirely eliminate the applications of calcium, phosphorus, and most micronutrients. This has saved me a few dollars here and there but I highly doubt that a significant portion of any fertilizer budget is for these nutrients. If it is I think you should take another look at your fertilizer inputs and needs on your course. By far the biggest fertilizer costs on any golf course will more than likely be nitrogen and potassium, both things that I apply to my greens and tees. The largest area of any course is probably the fairways so any reduction you can make there will have huge impacts on your fertilizer budget. As I said before, I'm only applying nitrogen to my fairways so the savings from the potassium I used to apply are huge.
Not bad for only nitrogen and wetting agents for inputs on fairways.

If anything the MLSN has taught me that we don't need as much fertilizer or nutrients as we used to think we needed. It has also helped me understand things such as the  park grass experiment. I have been purposely withholding potassium from my native soil fairways for 3 years now. We return the clippings so the losses of potassium from the soil should be minimal on these high CEC soils. I will be testing them this year to make sure.

The reason I'm doing this is to see what effect, if any, this will have on  weed populations on my fairways. We haven't used a herbicide on our fairways in at least 15 years and for the most part they are weed free. I guess that all depends on your definition of a weed but overall they are a visually appealing surface that is ideal for golfing on.

Some might see the low overall rate of nitrogen I have been applying to my course as "starving" my turfgrass. The reason I can safely go so low with my nitrogen rates is that I am using the growth potential formula as a guide to help me get into the ballpark for nitrogen rates and timing based on the average air temperatures each week or month. I then use my eyes to adjust based on growth rates and amount of play we are receiving (we have had our busiest winter ever and I've never applied less nitrogen through the winter and the greens have handled the traffic with no issues). The following table shows the average temps for each month and the very rough nitrogen rates I apply.
MonthAverage TemperatureGrowing PotentialN requirements (g/m²)
January3.30.010.028
February4.80.020.061
March6.60.050.144
April9.20.150.407
May12.50.391.105
June15.20.681.913
July17.50.902.525
August17.60.912.546
September14.60.621.729
October10.10.200.554
November60.040.110
December3.50.010.031
Total N requirements per year11.15

While I apply virtually no nitrogen for half the year, my grass doesn't require it as the air temperatures are too low for vigorous growth. Applying nitrogen during this time of the year only increases fusarium activity, money spent mowing, and thatch.
Fuzzy grass in the winter despite receiving no fertilizer applications 
Summer conditions
During the summer months I probably apply more nitrogen than most because the temperatures are ideal for cool season turfgrass growth. This increased nitrogen rates during the summer has helped me reduce moss and manage diseases like dollar spot and anthracnose without the need for pesticides.
Does this grass look starving?
It's all about timing. I used to apply nitrogen based on the theoretical ideal cool season growth curve but later discovered that cool season grass grows very differently based on the climate you are in. This is why I can apply much less fertilizer now than I used to. I only apply it if it is needed based on the temperature and what I am observing on the course. I used to apply the majority of my fertilizer in the Spring and Fall where I now apply the majority of my fertilizer in the Summer.

Not starving despite receiving only 2.25# N/1000 sq ft (12g N/m2) per season
I hope that people will continue to learn and read about the MLSN because it has the potential for some savings in fertilizer but I think the biggest advantage it has is that it will eliminate fertilizer applications that will make no difference to your turfgrass performance. This should theoretically help your operation be more sustainable and reduce the environmental impact that excessive fertilizer applications can have. If you want to find additional savings look into simple soluble source nutrients and the growth potential formula to fine tune your application timing and rates for your specific site. Happy MLSNing!


Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All