Skip to main content

Grass no grow, grass no disease.

turf is starting to turn colour as the winter solstice approaches
I've talked a lot about how I think it might be beneficial to use growth regulators on turf through the winter. I'm on the West Coast of Canada where turf grows (slowly) all winter long and we are forced to mow. I've thought that mowing active fusarium could spread it and my observations definitely confirm this suspicion. This is one reason why I think using growth regulators might be a good idea in the winter, so that you don't need to mow so often and therefore spread the disease around less so.

absolutely no disease

I found a spot! nothing my spray bottle can't handle.
The trouble us turf managers have out west is that we need a lot of fungicide to keep the grass alive this time of year. The conditions are thought to be ideal for fusarium and not ideal for the grass which only makes this problem worse.
None here either
Courses that receive snow cover all winter can get away with a few fungicide apps in the fall and then go all winter long without an app. Why can't we do that where there is no snow cover? Maybe we can but I certainly haven't seen it. The conditions under a tarp or snow cover are way more ideal for fungal growth in my opinion than slow growing grass exposed to the wind and rain. There is nothing like dark, stagnant, warm, moist air to breed fungi! So they must get good long term disease control because they aren't removing the product from the plant by constantly mowing it all winter long.

In years where we have had abnormally cold and dry winters I have seen a fungicide application last months as the grass was more or less frozen solid with no insulating snow cover. Either they were lasting longer or the disease had no hope in the cold weather or maybe a bit of both.

For the past few years I have been using Primo Maxx during the winters and less so in the summer months. As mentioned earlier in this post, maybe the extra slow growth I am seeing and therefore less mowing is why I am seeing less disease. I think there is more to it. I am now thinking that maybe because I am mowing less, that I am removing less of the systemic fungicide that was applied months before.

The last fungicide application I applied this year was on Oct 23rd. It was propiconazole, a systemic DMI, which probably further reduced the growth of the turf. Aside from a few weeks of unseasonably cold and dry weather, we have had a warm and very wet fall so far. The current weather could be considered perfect fusarium weather, but there is no new disease on my greens despite the last fungicide application being made 43 days ago! For a West Coaster this is not common in weather like this!


The winter application of Primo and propiconazole has resulted in no need to mow the greens since Nov 3rd. That's 32 days ago! On my course tour today there was no need to mow the greens. If anything a light topdress will do to keep them rolling nice and true through the next month. So maybe the lack of mowing is spreading less disease around AND removing less fungicide from the plant!

I'm really glad that there is no new disease on my greens because even if there was, there would be no way for me to do anything about it. Winds are high, rain is almost constant and when the rain stops the turf quickly frosts over. I can't get my sprayer out to apply anything!

I would be very interested to see studies done which look into what I am seeing. Do plant growth regulators combined with fungicides increase the longevity of protection when the grass is mowed only as needed? From what I am seeing, I think this could be the case....

The impacts of this could be big for us guys out West. If we can get our fungicide apps to last longer, we can save a lot of money and reduce the impact that these products have on the environment (if any).



Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All