Skip to main content

Lean Mean and Green!

Mid April has always been the time of the year when the course really comes alive on the West Coast of Canada. In the past I always attributed this green up flush to the weather but also to my heavy spring fertilizer applications.

Before I got onto liquid fertilizer applications and the growth potential model for predicting fertilizer requirements based on air temperatures I used to put out a heavy fertilizer application in March and then every 2 months until October each year. Now the rates vary depending on the average temperature for each month. The rates in the early spring are quite low with March seeing 3 bags of 21-0-0 going down on 5.4ha of turf and April seeing 4 bags go down. This is quite the contrast to the old way we did things with a granular fertilizer blend going down with about 40 bags every 2 months! Now we put down about 40 bags for the entire season. The last granular fertilizer application on fairways was done in June of 2013 and the conditions have only improved. The last granular fertilizer application on my greens was in 2011!

The really interesting thing to me is that even with this drastic reduction in fertilizer use there is still a phenomenal green-up in the spring and the turf looks great all year long. There are few weeds and we haven't used a pesticide on the fairways in over 15 years. There is a little poa out there but it is the minority with rye, bent and kentucky bluegrass forming the majority of the turfgrass stand.

I have told others about what I have been doing in conversation and the response is usually "but I get such a good green-up from that fertilizer application in the spring." My response is have you ever tried not applying that heavy spring green-up fertilizer application? The answer is almost always NO. This reminds me of the importance of check plots. One of the best plots I have seen is the one from Jason Hooper (@superjhooper) He has been using them on his greens and fairways to show the effects of his turf health programs. The crazy thing is that those check plots look great even with no applications of fertilizer, fungicide or wetting agents. Definitely makes you think. Also notice the abundance of bentgrass in the plots! Very cool stuff.

Others have also shared with me their success with going lean and mean on their turf. The result seems to be that more bentgrass comes in and out-competes the Poa annua.

Here's another tweet and I have to say from my observations on my course I completely agree.

I have been working to get some bentgrass established in my greens and have subsiquently done a lot of research into what others are doing to get good establishments. The majority of studies and articles about interseeding bentgrass are not successful over time and I think a lot of it has to do with the fertilizer use. Take the establishment guide for T-1 bentgrass for example. They recommend a 1.5lb N/1000 sq ft to start followed by 0.5lbN applications every 2 weeks after establishment. This would put down more fertilizer in 3 weeks than I put on my greens in 6 months! No wonder people are having issues with thatch and their bentgrass greens! Thatch = more aeration with leads to more poa. I have yet to read about someone inter-seeding and going "extreme" and not flooding their greens with fertilizer after seeding. All the studies I read also use relatively high rates of fertilizer after establishment. I have only used light nitrogen applications with a little potassium here and there for the past 4 years and have seen the bent come on strong. This year I plan to go even lower in my nitrogen rates in the summer to take into account the nitrogen released from organic matter.

If I was a fertilizer salesperson today I would mix up a liquid fertilizer blend to promote bentgrass and it would have a little n, little, k, lots of iron (to make you think it's working "ooooo look how green the grass is") and recommend high rates of my very low N fertilizer (to make more $$$$). I am confident this would result in a shift in bentgrass vs Poa on your greens. But for those of you who apply simple fertilizers, I would just apply less.
Lots of bentgrass creeping in. this green is now mostly bentgrass.
The point I am trying to make is that maybe we are doing it wrong? Maybe we are causing more damage with our fertilizer use than good? Maybe that fancy fertilizer program that babies the turf all season long is making it too easy for your poa to survive and compete with the hardier bentgrass? Maybe it is too easy for us to try and solve our problems by throwing more fertilizer at it? I don't think fertilizer has as big of an impact on our successes and quality of turf than we are lead to believe. Sure it is required to produce too turf, but probably at much lighter rates than we previously thought. Maybe that growth response we are seeing isn't because of the fertilizer?

Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All