Skip to main content

Super Savy Social Media Award


Wow, What an honour! Social media in the turfgrass industry has exploded in the past few years and to be singled out among all of the amazing bloggers, tweeters, and facebookers is truly humbling. Thank you!

I have been tweeting and blogging for almost 3 years now. I originally found comfort in social media as it allowed me to remain social for the 5 months a year that I work in isolation. I was able to interact daily with other turfheads just as if I had an assistant.

At first I felt guilty for spending any amount of time at work using social media. This quickly wore off as the connections I made and information I learned started making big impacts in my operation. I can honestly say that the use of social media has saved my club 10's of thousands of dollars every year that I have been using it! We would probably be out of business if it wasn't for the things I learned. My philosophy for management in any operation is that there is no reason you shouldn't be tweeting and blogging and sharing as often as you can. It pays off big time!

The main reason I enjoy using twitter and writing for my blog is that it makes me happy. I really enjoy reading about what everyone in the turf industry is up to. In the winter up North is is always nice to see the grass growing in the South! Using social media also keeps me honest (unlike Grassgoober) and forces me to really think about what I share publicly. As I share almost everything it has made me a more responsible turf manager. If you are going to share, share the good, bad and the ugly. I have learned a lot not just about turf, but also about me through interacting and sharing with everyone.

Writing a blog takes guts. It is there for everyone to see and opens you up to a lot of criticism. At first it was very hard for me to share because I wasn't comfortable with what I was doing. I was worried about what others might think of me. In the end I pushed on with the purpose to grow as an individual and turf manager and now I don't really care what others think about me. I couldn't say that 3 years ago.

Since starting out with twitter and my blog I have had an ever-evolving standard that I follow. At first it was focused on not ruining my reputation (what reputation?) but has now shifted to getting the most out of social media. I am greedy and want to learn as much as I can! So here is what I try to do to get the most out of twitter and my blog (subject to constant change):

There is no right or wrong way to use social media. It just like there's no right way to be you. I look at things that I enjoy and do them. I don't do things that I do not like others doing on social media. Don't worry about being #thatguy .

Be positive, focus on what you are doing and don't worry what others are doing. I see this so often, others saying what's wrong with the world without offering real solutions. This bugs me.

Don't focus on how many followers you have. Share content that you think is awesome and other like minded people will soon follow you. It's quality, not quantity. If you like what some people post, see who they follow and you will probably get more good content.

Share lots of pictures of the beauty of our jobs, accomplishments you are proud of, funny things you encounter, and my favourite, dead grass and disease! You get what you put in.

Frosty Fungal DEATH!!!
Support other social media users, like their posts and leave comments on their blogs to show them that you see and appreciate what they are sharing. A few likes go a long way. If I haven't liked or favourited one of your posts it's because you aren't posting!

Have fun with it!

At the end of the day I can honestly say that I have made a ton of friends through social media many whom I have yet to meet in person. Thanks everyone for the nomination for this award. Even though it's just a fun kind of thing, it means a lot! Congrats to all the other winners as well, all well deserved and appreciated!


Thanks,

Jason






Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All