Skip to main content

Late February Disease update and Plan

Happy February! Still no synthetics here!
If you would have asked me last September if it was possible to grow Poa annua putting greens without the use of synthetic pesticides over the winter I would have called you crazy. It is now almost March and I have 3 greens that have gone without synthetic pesticides since September and one green since June! The toughest part of the fusarium season has past but it is far from over!

For the most part I feel that the overall disease pressure this fall and winter has been low. We had an extended dry period this fall and the winter wasn't that cold or wet. February has been very mild and the turf has really started to grow.

A little R. cerealis showing up again
Currently the only troublesome turf diseases thy are active are M. nivale and R. cerealis. Tees and fairways have a moderate amount of fusarium and the approaches have an extreme case! The greens have had almost no fusarium activity all winter but I did apply two fungicide treatments to a few greens that were damaged from frost and I wanted to protect the weakened stand from further damage. My synthetic pesticide free greens have a low amount of fusarium patches present (can count on two hands) but I am closely watching them. I have resorted to plugging out the patch to prevent the spread of disease from my mowers with great success. The active R. cerealis is slow going and I doubt it will become a problem as the growth rate of the turf will only increase. I will closesly monitor it's activity and will spot apply nitrogen if needed.

A rare occurrence this winter.
Last summer I made a plan to combat fusarium and for the most part it worked. With any plan there are always kinks and things that didn't quite work out as planned. This winter I wasn't able to roll as much as I would have liked as we had issues getting enough sand down in the fall and the greens became too soft to roll aggressively over the winter. I was only able to roll twice for every time I mowed the greens so unfortunately I do not believe that rolling had a part in my successes this winter. I also think my plan to reduce nitrogen rates was good but this carried it's consequences with the R. cerealis outbreak in November. This fall I didn't fully understand the power of nitrogen in winter disease management and paid the consequences. This has all been new territory for me and mistakes are bound to happen.

I wonder if this guy uses Civitas? hmmm
My plan going forward is to continue with my regular phosphite and civitas applications on greens. I am still slightly skeptical that these products are the reason for my success so I will also resume knock out areas on each green to check my suspicions.

What I really think is the reason for my disease control success has been judicious nitrogen applications. In the past I had always applied a slow release nitrogen source in the fall. This year I have stuck with strictly soluble sources based on growth potential calculations. My recent observations have only confirmed my nitrogen suspicions.

In the next month I am going to fight the urge to apply any nitrogen (soooo hard) as the turf slowly awakens from its winter slumber. In the past I always wanted to push the spring growth to get things moving. What I have learned this past year regarding growth rates is that it is more about the temperatures than how much nitrogen you apply. It is far safer to apply too little nitrogen than too much as you cannot take back any nitrogen that has been previously applied.

The Plan Works. Last synth pesticide app
was Daconil 2787 June 6 2012
While the way I have been fertilizing my greens for the past half-season has been very successful I feel it has a few limitations that I am going to try and work out. The growth potential is great for a starting point to determine nitrogen applications but doesn't take into account the different micro-climates on the course. I have never really had a decent weather station on the course except for a hand held unit that would give me current data with no logging function. This year I have purchased a few Specturm Tech A-Series Data loggers  which I will be able to place around my course to get a better idea of what differences in temperature exist on my course. No, I do not plan on having a sensor on each individual green (maybe next year) but I do plan to measure the average temperatures and adjust my nitrogen applications for each green accordingly if a significant temperature difference occurs. I have a few greens that only receive a half hour of late afternoon sun for over half of the year and I am certain that the temperatures difference on these greens will make an impact on my fertility requirements. This fall my shady greens tested at almost double the nitrogen in the soil which suggests that the plant is using less due to a slower metabolism.

I tried to save this tree but....
On an even smaller scale I have areas on some greens that always get the fusarium first. These areas are usually to the south and heavily shaded compared to the rest of the greens. Long term the best solution is to try and provide an even amount of light to all areas of each putting green which will require more tree removal. I don't think I need full sun but I do feel that it would help to have each green receive a consistent amount of light over its respective surface each day. In the short term I plan on maybe skipping nitrogen applications on the usual suspect locations unless I feel that the turf can outpace the growth of the pathogen (mid-April onward).

Can you see the light?
The next month is going to be a real test. With active disease on my synthetic pesticide free greens I cannot afford any mistakes. If you see me tweeting about an upcoming nitrogen app in the next month tell me to stop. I am going to try and hold off anything drastic but I can't promise I won't put out just a little bit (0.006kgN/100m2/week maybe?) It's not easy changing a bad habit OK!

I know what you're thinking. "With all these different nitrogen rates isn't that going to lead to inconsistent playing conditions?" It might, but wouldn't you think that the micro-climates would contribute more to any variances you would encounter? As always I will be monitoring this as well to ensure that things don't get silly.

And of course I could be completely delusional and all of my success could have been a fluke! I really hope this isn't the case but time will surely tell!


Spring is almost here again!

Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All