Skip to main content

The Rolling Fool, My Experience With "Extreme" Rolling

In the past year I rolled the putting greens at my course about 200 times. I'm not sure if this is some kind of record or not but what I do know is that nothing terrible happened contrary to most "expert" advice. I am often perplexed to the advice from so called experts warning of certain doom if you roll your putting surfaces more than 2 or 3 times a week. What I have to ask them is have they ever tried rolling daily, 2x daily? I have and take it from me, it won't kill all your grass if you do it right. In this post I will share my experience with rolling, the pros, the cons and what to watch out for, based on my practical hands on experience.
Equipment Log showing total number of recorded rolls in the last year in bold.

Firstly I would like to share why you would consider an "extreme" rolling regime. It will give you a uniform increase in green speed almost instantly without the need for lowering the height of cut. There are a million studies out there on this phenomenon. Rolling has allowed me to maintain consistent green speeds without having to mow every day. This has resulted in a huge savings of labour running and setting up my greens mower. It has also been proven to reduce and even prevent some fungal pathogens namely Dollar Spot. They can also prevent mower scalping by smoothing the putting surface. I have a few anecdotal observations to the disease and even weed reduction but they have yet to be proven by science so they should not be used as a reason to roll your greens yet.

The biggest affect rolling is going to have on your putting greens is compaction. Broad statements are often made that rolling leads to increased compaction and extra traffic stress. In a broad sense this is very true. Essentially what you are doing when you roll your greens is you are squishing down the leaf blades, the thatch layer and even the soil. Come to think of it every time a golfer steps foot, mower makes a pass, employee changes a pin you are compacting the soil and turf canopy. When you roll the putting greens you are essentially uniformly compacting the surface because that's what we want right? Uniformity. Now compaction can be a problem for putting greens so the key is to managing this compaction. It is important to note that the studies being conducted at Michigan State University have shown no significant increase in soil compaction on sand based putting greens that receive regular sand topdressings.

Essentially there are two types of rollers. Lightweight and Not lightweight. I classify lightweight rollers as anything with a ground pressure of less than 5 psi. This ground pressure is typically the same as a golfer walking across the green. Other rollers have much higher ground pressure and would therefore increase the rate of compaction. The theory behind lightweight rolling is to roll the green lightly with many rollers thus achieving the same smoothing effects as the heavyweight rollers without all that compaction.

Thinning caused from rolling when soils are saturated.
Personally I use a lightweight machine. It allows me the ability to roll as often as I please and has a lesser impact on soil compaction which is good. It also allows me to roll daily and not have to cut daily. Heavier machines compact the soil more and therefore can't be used as often. So why roll so much? Remember, I don't roll for green speed, I roll for disease reduction. I think that there are also some very beneficial uses for heavyweight rolling but they are purely speculative at this point. Here's a hint, moss.

Knowing your VMC can help you manage your soil
compaction.
Over the years there are a few things I have learned about managing compaction when you roll like a crazed maniac. The biggest detriment to turfgrass health and density has come from when we roll when the soils are saturated. The soil moisture levels are very important to know if you are rolling on a frequent basis. I have seen drastic density losses almost overnight simply from rolling when the soils were wet. How wet? Well that is something that will be different on every soil but for me if I get a VMC reading over 35 I will now not roll. This is where the art of greenkeeping comes into play and where you will have to learn from experience what is best for your site. Whoa, Whoa! Mr. Numbers is talking the art of greenkeeping? Ya, play around with it and watch your VMC. When I am able to maintain the moisture levels in my greens between 20-25% I haven't seen any loss of density due to rolling period. Another tool that is gaining popularity is needle tine aeration. This is a great way to reduce any negative compaction effects from rolling and is nothing but good for your turf.

Poa Toupee on 6x daily rolled plot.
I have heard of the Poa Toupee effect and just last week I got to witness it on my study green. Frequent rolling following aeration can cause the roots to shear off and not regrow. I saw this occur on my plot that was rolled 6x a day! Because of this it is probably a good idea to limit rolling following aeration especially when significant lifting of the turf surface occurred.

Skidding and wear caused from changing direction too
quickly on a self propelled lightweight roller.
Other negative impacts that rolling can have is wear from changing direction and careless operators. A lot of damage can be done very quickly if the operator isn't fully aware and trained on the machine. Self propelled lightweight rollers are really bad for this in my experience. Rolling following a heavy topdressing can make this issue even worse as the sand acts like tiny sharp ball bearings. To avoid this issue there are triplex mounted rollers that are much easier for the operators to use. The only drawback is that it requires another triplex mower which can be costly. Since the following picture was taken we have seen the approach return back to perfect health despite daily rolling. It's all about operator training and awareness.

So no, "extreme" rolling isn't all happy time and flowers like you might think I've made it out to be. There can be negative issues if rolling is done wrong just like all cultural practices. I hope that what I have learned over the years can help you avoid the mistakes I have made and have a very successful rolling program on your golf course.

These greens are still very much alive 200 rolls later!  Sept 17, 2012






Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All