Skip to main content

More Mossy Thoughts

I've been thinking a lot about moss lately. My casual observations on my moss study have been very interesting so far this year. The small study green had zero moss when the study began this spring but had a history of heavy moss infestation in the past. Obviously this was the perfect spot to study moss. The only problem I've had so far this year is that almost no moss has developed on the putting green at all! What the hell?
Moss is losing the battle here in early May

Well as always I have a few thoughts and observations to share that could explain why. Who knows?

What I am thinking is that moss is affected by traffic or wear only at certain times of the year. Early this spring and summer I noticed that the existing moss on my putting greens was dying. It was black and basically being taken over by the turf. I was "wearing" my greens daily with a lightweight roller. By the time summer had arrived the moss had all but disappeared in the typical areas on my putting greens. I thought I had figured it out. Before this I had never seen moss disappear. Historically if I had moss it only got worse, not better.

Moss explosion on my irrigationally challenged
putting green.
Summer arrived and suddenly the rain stopped. Beginning late July the moss started to come on very strong. It wasn't coming on in the typical areas this time though. Instead it was developing in areas that the turf was thinning due to being either too dry or too wet. I actually found that the dry areas were worse than the wet which is contrary to most people's views so far. My upper practice green was and still covered in moss despite being grown in full sun. It has a very very very poor irrigation system that is gravity fed and maybe gets 20psi on a good day, even less when I'm pulling water for my irrigation ponds. Either way this putting green was constantly excessively dry and thus the moss population exploded. I wasn't able to roll more than 1x daily as the turf was pretty stressed from the heat and as a whole was quite weak.

Back to my moss study green. Even though it has historically had serious moss issues I was easily able to keep it adequately watered this summer. The fact that it was grown in almost full shade made my job easier as the plant water use was much less that it would have been if it was in full sun. The average canopy temperatures were often 10C less than my other putting greens. Some areas were severely thinning due to the excessive wear brought on by rolling up to 8x a day and guess what? Still no moss. There is some moss on areas that aren't rolled ever and recently on the 1x daily plots. All other plots are free of moss. This suggests to me that wear definitely has some kind of affect on moss and that it's not just thinned turf that allows moss to invade.
Rolled 8x daily plot with 2hrs of sunlight each day. No moss despite
the thinned turf conditions.

What I would like to know is how moss is affected by traffic at different times of year. What is it's growth cycle? When is it the most vulnerable? Maybe the answer is heavy rolling in the spring and better control of soil moisture and light rolling in the summer. Who knows? It will be interesting to see how the moss population on my upper practice green is affected once the rains start back up and adequate soil moisture is once again reached. I am going to mark out a few plots on the green to compare as the season progresses with my normal daily rolling program.
Control plot left and 2x daily rolled on the right.

I am continuing the moss study and will keep it up until I figure this out, probably a few more years yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All