Skip to main content

Another Look at the Stunted Sod Farm Turf

The turf in the foreground is Poa annua grown from hollow tine aeration cores from our putting greens.
So earlier this year I made a post regarding an observation I made on our sod farm.  I noticed that the newly planted turf was growing at a much slower rate than the surrounding turf.  The grass was planted using cores from the hollow tine aeration of our putting greens.

The predominate species of grass on our putting greens is Poa annua.  Poa annua is a species of turf that is very adaptable.  It is capable of withstanding heights of cut as low or lower than 2mm!  Some scientists have also observed that at low heights of cut the turf actually doesn't even grow upwards!  It had been cut so low for so long that it had adapted to not growing!  Poa annua has the ability to adapt to almost any environment.  This is one reason why it is such a widespread turf species found on every continent other than the Antarctic.

The above picture was taken during May which is the time of year that we see a major seed head flush from the Poa annua.  The funny thing here was that the newly planted turf didn't produce any seed head!  At first I was completely stumped as to why this Poa annua wasn't bursting into a field of white but I finally clued in just now (I'm a little slow).



Mega seed head action !! It doesn't get much worse than this!!
The reason I think that it didn't produce any seed head this past season was that there was no stress from being cut.  The turf had already adapted to slow growth and frequent cutting so not being cut was like a day at the spa.  No stress = no need to reproduce.  Now I shouldn't say there was no seed head.  There was a little as can be seen in the picture but those who have managed Poa know that this is practically nothing.

So what this absolutely proves to me is that if I can reduce the stress that the plant is experiencing they I should also reduce the seed head in May.  Best case scenario I have no seed head on my greens next year or the year after that.  This makes a ton of sense but is easier said than done.  I have been doing a heap of research into fertility and disease prevention for Poa annua in an effort to maximize the health of my greens next season.

I have heard some say that as greenkeepers we can't forget why we are growing this turf in the first place.  "It is for the game of golf," they say.  "Turf health is secondary to playability!"  All I have to say to these people is the reason I am so concerned with the health of my turf is so that I can provide the best possible playing conditions period!

I cannot wait for next year!!!



Popular posts from this blog

Turfgrass speedo is still my most important tool for managing turf growth after 4 years.

It wasn't the easiest year for growing grass , but the conditions were still pretty good. Almost 4 years ago exactly, I came up with the idea of comparing actual clipping yields to the "ideal" clipping yield or the clipping yield adjusted using the Growth Potential Model . Since then, it has proved to be a much more useful tool to manage growth than I originally thought .  It has been almost a decade since I started making observations on plant health and playability and how it relates to the clipping yield. I have been constantly searching for ways to get the growth rate right as often as I can and this tool seems to be the best way I have seen so far, and might ultimately, be the best way going forward. To prove this point I will discuss in a future post, the success I've had with pest control in the past few years (for the most part (Not withstanding the times where I think my greens are dead but they actually aren't...thanks T)). Never needed less There are

Do you have enough?

I recently discussed how we can use fertilizer ratios to simplify how much fertilizer we apply to help us keep above the MLSN guidelines . When we get a soil test done it is a static amount of nutrients found in the soil. Even if you are above the MLSN guidelines at the time of testing, it doesn't guarantee that you will remain at or above the guidelines as the grass grows and consumes nutrients. There is math that you can use to determine exactly how much nutrient you need to apply to ensure that you remain at or above the MLSN guidelines. For many, this is much too complicated. For that reason I made a quick cheat sheet to help you determine how much of each nutrient you can expect to use each year based off a few different annual nitrogen rates. Nutrient use is based primarily on nitrogen use so the left 2 columns are a few different nitrogen rates. The columns for each nutrient are in PPM and are designed to help you look at your current soil test PPM (mehlich 3) and determin

How to quantify nutrient content in liquid fertilizer

In a recent post, I discussed how it was actually cheaper to spray soluble vs granular fertilizer. What about if we use pre-mixed liquid fertilizer? How do we even figure out how much nutrient we are applying with pre-mixed liquid fertilizer?  Before I learned that you could simply dissolve soluble fertilizer in water and apply it in a sprayer, I was a big user of pre-mixed liquid fertilizers. One of the issues I initially had was figuring out exactly how much of each nutrient I was applying. The math wasn't as straightforward is it was with granular fertilizers. It turns out, it's actually not that difficult but requires an extra step.  First, we need to convert the liquid volume into a mass. Many products will have the product density displayed on the label or you can look in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for that information as well. No SDS? Should you be using products without an SDS? Even if this information isn't included on the label it is very easy to figure out. All